2 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF (this is a slow bake chocolate cake recipe)
2. Grease and flour a 9 in x 13 inch baking dish
3. Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix at medium speed until all the ingredients are blended and smooth.
4. Pour into the greased and floured pan and bake for 1 hour, or until done.
5. Frost as desired with your favorite frosting.
Recipe for homemade buttercream frosting
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter softened, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 tbsp evaporated milk. Combine all ingredients and enjoy. I got this recipe from a blog friend https://holcombfamilyrecipes.wordpress.com I am not a big fan of chocolate but this cake is really good.