Old-Fashioned Pound Cake
3 ½ cups cake flour (sifted)
3 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
1 cup Crisco
1 cup milk
5 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon extract
Blend sugar, butter and Crisco together with mixer. Add flour and milk alternately blending mixture well. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla and lemon extract and mix again.
Grease and flour 9 inch tube pan, add batter and bake at 325 degrees for 1 ½ hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN.
I got this recipe from http://www.frugalupstate.com/recipes/recipe-cheaters-strawberry-rhubarb-jam/
Cheater’s Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
(freezer jam or boiling water bath canned)
7-8 C of rhubarb cut into 1 inch chunks
4 cups of sugar or to taste
1- 3 oz pkg strawberry Jell-O
1. Wash and cut up rhubarb stalks into half inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
2. Mix sugar in with the rhubarb chunks. Cover & let sit for at least an hour until the juices come out of the rhubarb.
3. Cook rhubarb mixture over medium high heat, stirring and mashing a bit until it is soft and the pieces of rhubarb have mostly disintegrated. Add jello. Stir until jello is dissolved. Pour mixture into freezer containers and freeze.
Yields about 3 pints
Homemade Mosquito Repellent
15 drops lavender oil
3 Tbsp of vanilla extract
10 drops of citronella oil or lemon-eucalyptus oil
1/4 Cup lemon juice
Combine above ingredients in spray bottle. Fill remainder of bottle with water, water/vodka or water/witch hazel mixture.
Spray yourself and any objects or areas you wish to keep mosquito free!
HOMEMADE FURNITURE DUSTING SPRAY
1-3/4 cups water
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon essential oil (about 8 to 10 drops)
Combine the ingredients in a clean spray bottle of at least a 16 oz size. Shake well to mix.
To use, spray onto wooden furniture and wipe off with a soft cloth to dust and clean the surface.
I got this recipe at http://www.themakeyourownzone.com
You’ll have to keep shaking this mixture as you use it to keep the oil and water mixed together, which really isn’t a big deal. You already have the bottle in your hand to spray it, just give it a shake too!
HOMEMADE LIQUID LAUNDRY SOAP
1 Bar of Ivory Soap, Fels Naptha, or homemade laundry bar soap-grated= I use 2 cups grated homemade laundry bar soap
4 cups of Water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
3 Gallons Warm Water
1. In a saucepan, bring the 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the grated bar soap and stir until the soap is melted.
2. Fill a large pail or container with the 3 gallons of warm water. Add the washing soda and the borax. Stir until mixed.
3. Add the melted soapy mixture from your saucepan to the pail and stir.
4. Transfer to smaller containers, or cover your mixing container or pail with a lid, and let set for 24 hours, giving it a few stirs during that time.
4. Use 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load.
I have found that 1/2 cup does most normal loads but for heavily soiled laundry I use 3/4 to 1 cup.
I got this recipe from http://www.themakeyourownzone.com/2010/10/homemade-laundry-soap-what-you-need-to-know-plus-2-recipes.html
In a bowl mix:
1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar
Add 3/4 cup evaporated milk and mix well. (I use 1/4 cup evaporated milk, then add enough water to make 3/4 cup) Bring to boil 3 cups water. Add above mixture to boiling water, stirring as you add mix. When thick add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tbsp. butter. Serve with hot biscuits.
I got this recipe from a dear friend of mine, Vanessa Looney. She was my supervisor for many years. She took the time to love me and tell me about Jesus when I definitely wasn’t very lovable. She has been with the Lord for many years now. When we found out her time on this earth was short, she said to me “I’m not afraid of dying. I’ve lived my entire life to see my Lord!”
1 box powdered sugar (3 1/2 cups), 1/2 stick butter softened, 1 tsp. vanilla. Add evaporated milk-1 tbsp at a time. Could take as many as 3 tbsp. Mixture needs to be a little dry. Roll out on wax paper sprinkled with powdered sugar. Spread peanut butter. Roll up, chill, slice and enjoy.
Venison roast in crockpot
3 pounds boneless venison roast
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon dry onion soup mix
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of water
1. Put cleaned meat in slow cooker and cover with onion.
2. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients. mix together and pour mixture over venison. Cook on Low setting for 6 hours.
I usually put it on in the morning, cook on high until time for supper. Also good with beef roast. I got this recipe from Allrecipes but have alterned it some to suit our taste.
Marie’s Pumpkin Roll
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts
Beat eggs on high 3 min. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in pumpkin, lemon juice. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into a greased 15X10X1″ pan. Top with nuts. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 min. Turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Starting at the narrow end roll towel and cake together, cool and unroll. Use wax paper to turn it out on.
1 cup powdered sugar
6 oz cream cheese
4 tbsp butter-softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat until smooth. Spread over cake roll. Roll up pumpkin roll and chill well.
Today I tried a new recipe. Gingerbread coffee creamer. I got the recipe from food.com I added 1 cup powdered milk to the recipe, as I like mine extra creamy.
- 2 cups non-dairy powdered coffee creamer or 2 cups powdered nonfat dry creamer or 2 cups powdered coffee creamer
- 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend or 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
Blend well in a blender.
You will see specks of the spice in the mixture. I have already tried this recipe and I thought it turned out great. I think I really like making all these flavored coffee creamer.
I will leave you all with another fall picture.
And a sunrise picture Grace took this morning. Enjoy your day and God bless.