When I was living in Grundy, we would buy our milk, butter and buttermilk from a friend of ours who had cows. She made absolutely the best butter I’ve ever tasted. When we moved up here to Floyd, the butter they made tasted completely different. They call it “sweet cream butter” here. Well, don’t get me wrong, it’s really good. But just not the taste I’ve been hankering for. So the other day I called Margie, our friend in Grundy that made the butter. The cows here on the farm are Holsteins and don’t produce much cream so it takes a long time to save up. We wanted to make butter for the weekend for Jessica, so I cheated and bought heavy whipping cream from the store. Here is the recipe she gave me.
1. Put equal amounts of cream and buttermilk in a jar. I used 1 pt cream and 1 pint buttermilk.
2. Let jar sit out on counter overnight or until it becomes very thick-I mean really, really thick.
3. Her instructions were then to churn it. As we do not have a churn, I poured the thickened cream into my mixer with the whisk attachment on-You know my beautiful mixer my wonderful hubby surprised me with at Christmas.
4. Llet this mix about 5 min. (I’m not really sure of the time, it could have been less or more.) This is what it will look like when the butter is ready.
6. Then you do what Margie called “gather” the butter. I put it into a container, added a little salt, took a spoon and worked it around and all the excess buttermilk came out. Drain off the buttermilk as you gather the butter.
The finished product. Chill and enjoy!! Of course, I had to sample it before this. I wanted to make sure it was good before serving it to my family. (lol) It tastes just like Margie’s. Yeah!!!! I am so happy. I am making fresh rolls today for the weekend. Won’t they be good with butter spread on them.
Enjoy your day and God bless.
Yum! Your butter looks great and I know how wonderful your rolls are!! I am getting hungry 🙂
Have a great weekend.
That looks so good. Did you save the liquid that came off of it? I have done it with whipping cream, but not with the buttermilk as well.
Have a great weekend.
Oh! This post makes me miss AnnaBelle’s butter. I so miss my AnnaBelle’s butter! I pray our cow gets bred soon ;- ) I NEED fresh milk!
Have a great day in THE LORD!
Did you buy the buttermilk from the store as well ? That looks yum! And add that to homemade rolls…devine! They are gonna gobble that all up 🙂
What a lovely idea, Donna… I will have to try this recipe.. My Mom will sometimes buy a pint of whipping cream and shake it until she gets butter … Then she adds some salt… I like your idea better.. No shaking although I could use the exercise… grin..
Have a great weekend…
Thank You for this!